Observations of a Pop Culture Junkie

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Who am I to judge?

Part 2 of my "A New Year, A New Outlook, A New Me" post is coming, but, I think it's good, every now and then, to expand the blog beyond me. So, here's what I've been thinking about the past few weeks...

Karl Lagerfeld vs. Adele 

A week or so before the Grammy Awards aired on February 12, 78-year-old Chanel designer, Karl Lagerfeld, told French newspaper, Metro, "The thing at the moment is Adele. She is a little too fat, but she has a beautiful face and a divine voice."

Adorable Adele - too fat?

Despite having battled his own weight-related demons in the past, losing over 30 kilos over 10 years ago and having kept it off, HuffPost Celebrity revealed that this was not Lagerfeld’s first gaffe in terms of discussing “women’s bodies or their weight.”

In 2009, the freaky-looking (and I think that is being kind) designer had commented, "No one wants to see curvy women. You've got fat mothers with their bags of chips sitting in front of the television and saying that thin models are ugly.”

Creepy-looking Karl Lagerfeld

In the face of a worldwide backlash against his remarks regarding Adele, Lagerfeld apologized, saying, “Adele is a beautiful girl. She is the best. And I can't wait for her next CD." OK, Karl.

Unfortunately, the beautiful and talented vocalist is no stranger to comments about her weight. "I've seen people where it rules their lives, who want to be thinner or have bigger boobs, and how it wears down on them," she told British Vogue in 2011. "And I don't want that in my life. I have insecurities, of course, but I don't hang out with anyone who points them out to me."

Among those who publicly came to Adele’s defense in the wake of Lagerfeld's comments were Jennifer Hudson (who famously lost a huge amount of weight after the birth of her son, using Weight Watchers), Anderson Cooper and nearly everyone else on earth.

"I've never seen magazine covers or music videos and been like 'I need to look like that to be a success,'" Adele told Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes the following Sunday. "I don't want to be some skinny mini with my tits out. I really don't want to do it and I don't want people confusing what it is that I'm about."

Read the rest of what she had to say here.

Postscript to the story:

Adele looked simply gorgeous at the Grammys.  She’s not a "skinny mini," and she doesn’t need to be. She has an amazing voice, and she is incredibly talented. She has already accomplished more at the age of 23 than many will in a lifetime. She should be judged on her merit and not by her weight.

Adele, looking amazing at the Grammys

Needless to say, as she walked away with six well-deserved Grammy Awards, everyone was talking about Adele, not Chanel.

Adele's Grammy night bounty

She also had the last laugh as the March issue of Vogue, featuring her looking gorgeous on the cover, flew off of shelves.

Who's laughing now, Karl?

Lesson learned — weight can always come off, but the kind of inside ugly that Karl Lagerfeld exhibited is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment