Observations of a Pop Culture Junkie

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Me, a model?!?

Despite the fact that Mr. Wrong and I were wrong for each other in pretty much every way possible (remember that, Rachel, remember...when you're down and depressed, remember...it was wrong, and it would've continued to be wrong, and it would've only gotten more wrong probably as time passed), I adored him, we had fun together, and I met some great people through him.

Among them, a fashion designer whom I'll refer to as R to protect her privacy for now (hopefully, down the line, R will let me interview her for one or both of my blogs), an entertainer I'll refer to as T, and, through T, a stunning runway model whom I will refer to as E.

E and I met the other night and hit it off immediately. In addition to being a successful model, she's a singer, and we bonded over our love of music and my desire to return to the stage.

Anyway, R was kind enough to invite me to her fashion show on Thursday night. Not being much of a fashionista (although I have perfected Deadhead Chic), I was really excited to go and see what it was all about. Luckily, I also had a great Wing Woman, as E was game to join me at the show.

Lots of things happened that night. We had a blast, and much weirdness ensued.

The weirdest thing of all though...the thought of me as a model?!?

Of course, as soon as R saw E, she thought she'd be perfect to model. Wanting to be an observer for once though, a chance she doesn't often get, E passed.

I joked to R that, once I'd lost 20 or 30 more pounds, I'd love to model for her. Much to my shock and delight, she responded by asking me if I wanted to model that night - 3 nights ago. I thanked her profusely, but told her I wasn't ready. Still, needless to say that, after a few years now of dealing with major body issues, it ROCKED to be asked. R - you're a doll!

E didn't understand why I'd want to pass up the opportunity. The short answer? I am getting there (there being where I want my body to be), but I am certainly not there yet. I still have a long way to go.

Exhibit A: a photo of me and E from Thurs. (Yes, because of the lights, we look like aliens.)


With E, at fashion show, 2-24-11

Hopefully, you can tell (compared with my photos from the summer) that I have made A LOT of progress. I am simply not there yet though and can only get there with time and hard work.

Exhibit B: seeing E's FB photos - holy %$&*! Oh, to be that young again, that skinny (although I was always curvy even when skinny) and that hot...WOW! E is no joke. The fact that I can stand next to her without wanting to die, let alone post a photo of us together, is more than slightly amazing.

After the show, E and I were talking to R, and she told us that she likes using models of all shapes and sizes in her shows since, as she wisely recognizes, most of us simply cannot look like E, much as we'd love (even kill and starve) to. I told R that I'd remind her of her offer some months down the road when I am closer to reaching my weight and fitness goals.

For now though, I can revel in the thought that I was asked to be a model by a well-known and extremely talented designer. Moreover, I think that, when the time comes, and I'm feeling ready, if the offer is still open, I'll do it.

Now that's something I never in a million years thought would happen! For the offer and the encouragement, I thank both R and E from the bottom of my heart.

Just wait 'til I cross "be a runway model" off my bucket list! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment